Part of our strategic roll out of learning with digital technologies saw us at the end of term 1 having a fantastic Chromebook and Google Apps for Education launching day in our senior school. The Board of Trustees and PTA generously have supplied each of our five senior classes with ten Chromebooks. All students have a GAFE account for their learning and teachers are using the Hapara teacher dashboard to manage and access student accounts.
The Chromebooks have been cleverly stored in lockable filing cabinets with dish racks as a cheap solution for security and storage. Each Chromebook has been set up to only accept school domain log ins and we have created a sticker as a deterrent for would-be thieves to alert them to this fact.
Some of the kids reflections from Room 19 using VoiceThread of our launch:
I've had a few schools visit regarding how I went about deploying the Chromebooks and this has been some of the resources and steps I took:
VLN discussion on CMC set up: http://goo.gl/wSQvZb
Not used yet but link from +FionaGrant to investigate Synergyse launches free interactive training for the Google Apps Admin Console - See more at: http://blog.synergyse.com/2014/07/synergyse-launches-admin-console.html#sthash.JuY9F1Ez.jsN5mQ64.dpuf
- Got a parent helper to label all devices with the room and the date we got them. As each class had 10 we labelled them 19/1 through to 19/10 and then date was just 201404. She also labelled the corresponding box with the computer number (19/1-10) and these were on a Google Sheet. (This took about 2 hours)
- Then we plugged in a bar scanner and with the Google Sheet opened with the class Chromebook numbers opened (in order) was able to bar -code scan the outside of the box to get the serial number of each Chromebook off quickly. This took only 5-10 minutes - initially I had the parent helper tediously typing in the serial number but this ended up being the quickest and accurate.
- Our TTS guy then opened them up and connected them to our school wifi logged into the internet - we have all our school owned devices set to this separate WLAN so that the kids didn't need to authenticate each time they and enrolled each device. Not sure how long this took him but it was just on one of his scheduled fortnightly visits.
- The Chromebooks were boxed up ready for the kids to unwrap!
- I spent about 2 hours just going through the settings on the GAFE admin domain turning things on and off (as per list on VLN at your discretion). I also had a play around with a couple of the apps that I wanted the kids to be able to have deployed to the devices "typing club" was essential as we have such a long domain name to log in " @pakurangaheights.school.nz" so hoped that the kids might use this app in a self directed learning way.