The focus on a strengths based, positive solution focus, rather than dwelling in deficit thinking and problem solving aligns with my personal mantra of projecting positivity and continuous improvement. When I got home I was so inspired I started reading the book! The Solutions Focus is a SIMPLE way of working to allow individual solutions according to what is happening for the individual or within an organisation.
Solutions not problems
Inbetween: the action is in the interaction
Make use of what's there - not what isn't
Possibilities: past, present and future
Language: simply said
Every case is different
The Solutions tools are:
- Platform - a point for departure
- The Future Perfect - the situation without the problem, the way the customer wants it to be
- Counters - resources and skills that will count towards getting to the solution
- Scale - to measure progress and identify difference
- Affirm - recognising positive steps towards solution that are already taking place
- Small actions - pivotal steps that take action towards the future perfect, they are specific and concrete
- Non-verbal participation
- What else?
- First tiny signs (steps)
- What difference would that make?
- What would person X notice?